Friday, March 26, 2010

{now WEAR was I?} dark denim

As a clothing reconstruction artist people call me to unleash loads of old garments onto me. I understand that everything can always be totally awesome, but in the case that i might find one treasure in a bag of trash is worth the effort of going through peoples heaps. I have a 1997 emerald green chevy astro van, so in this effort i provide a service of bringing peoples unwanted things to thriftstores for them, so that I can have first dibbs.

I have a lot of awesome stories about getting some really amazing things, like the 2 vanloads that I got from Ann and Flame when they emptied their antique booth at Riverview, or the entire 18 bags of vintage clothes that i was gifted from Yellow Jacket. Almost all of this was Mint, and I am still wading through this stuff from years and months ago. Besides the claustrophobia that initiated these poor collectors massive perge of totally amazing things, a lot of what I get it is pretty obvious why it went unwanted.

I call my syndrome "velveteen rabbit syndrome" where i feel sorry for inanimate objects and want to make them worthy of human love again. I am currently working on a series of handbags made of the 2 trunks of cut and sorted but completely mismatched denim. Mismatched denim is the most UGLY thing in the world according to Madam Chino. In effort to unify all this denim, i am screenprinting blue quilt shapes on all of it. I also realized that I will never wear anything but Dark Blue Denim. (In addition to black and grey Cheap Mondays, which i continue to buy despite that their zippers constantly break, because they are high hip and square that the top so they don't cause that aweful muffin top)






XOXO,
Madam Chino

No comments: